Loading...

Thursday, 19 August 2010

Make room...

I've been a bit busy lately, busy procrastinating, but still busy nonetheless, and a lot has gone on recently that has made me realise a few things. Firstly, I have a saying (its original - as far as I'm concerned - so feel free to reference/quote me :D) 'Always allow for destiny to manifest itself in your life for if you don't, you are denying yourself not that which you have earned, but that which you deserve'-(JJ Bola,2010). What I mean by this is that we all have a destiny, this is my personal belief feel free to argue otherwise, but very few of us achieve it, and nowadays we've become increasingly inclined to believe that it takes some innate magical essence, some wondrous sense of an heightened spiritual ability or mental power - by way of 'the secret' - to achieve it, which often leaves many people feeling overwhelmed. It can be quite daunting. I truly and simply believe that giving room/time/energy to allow for things to happen in our lives will help us to achieve our wishes, and desires... our destinies. By this I mean, speak to that person on the train who you normally wouldn't speak to, go out to places where you normally wouldn't go, and say yes where you would have usually said no. Share with the world, engage, connect, and interact, and you will really start to acquire the things in life that you deserve, things like happiness. You never really know where happiness resides, there is no sign that says 'Talk to this person, you will meet your future wife through them' even though that would be a real good look.
We now live in an increasingly technological world that has a dichotomous effect, on the one hand technology is bringing us closer together, people on opposite sides of the world are able to connect, yet at the same time, it is separating us, we spend so much time in front of screens, we're erasing from our memories, the fine art of face to face human interaction. Almost everyone has headphones on when on their commute to and from places, so simply saying 'hello' to someone is almost as scary as the thought of running into the Lions den naked covered in seasoning. So ask yourself, what really stops you? Apart from you. So I think we really have to allow for things to happen in our lives. I'll use myself as an example, I like to write, I've been writing on and off for a few years now. Mainly short stories - much of which has been exiled to the land of lost data via my former arch nemesis, my 6gb 512 ram, 500mhz, packard bell pc - but simply for fun, and I initially had no intention to share it with people. Quite recently, I stumbled into spoken word poetry, and wrote my first piece some months ago, then I was, as if by some divine hand, forced to perform it because the performer did not turn up to the show that my friend and I had organised, and people really liked it and said they want to hear more. Since then, I have performed in slams and shows, and have been so incredibly inspired by the artistic brilliance that I have witnessed that has filled a void that roared louder than ricochet bullets along silent hallways. So I say, don't close yourself off, give time, make room, do you. It seems as though nothing is happening but the world conspires for those who dare to dream. Complacency is the enemy of progression, and the anti-thesis to artistic expression. Don't let yourself get comfortable with your situation. Do the things you usually wouldn't, get things you want and need to fill your life,'allow for for destiny to manifest itself in your life because if you don't you are denying yourself not that which you have earned, but that which you have deserved'... and you do deserve it.

5 comments:

  1. AHHHH i like this a lot. All the points you've made are valid especially the point about how technologic social interaction has brought us closer together but on the other hand, has set us further apart. This is the kind of thing that I could read daily to feed myself with the motivation and drive to go out and make things happen, and I'm sure many others would be able to relate to this the same way.. Very inspiring piece, Good job JJ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really really, really like this piece x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nneka and Cat,thanks for reading. Glad u enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Since then, I have performed in slams and shows, and have been so incredibly inspired by the artistic brilliance that I have witnessed that has filled a void that roared louder than ricochet bullets along silent hallways." LOVEiT! That was a very poetic line and I must say, very humble of you not to mention the Slam which you won last month and the one you came second in last week. In all of this advice, which I throughly enjoyed reading, please remember to congratulate yourself. In your so-far short journey of performance poetry you have achieved what some will never. Don't play that down too much. Praise where praise is due. In my personal opion, you are a fantastic poet and I forsee big things for you. Stay blessed x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Comfort, advise most definitely heeded. I will try to be more self congratulatory, never really been good at it lol. Thanks for support though. glad you enjoyed reading it.:D

    ReplyDelete